6.24.2011

Heaven is For Real

The other day, as I was nannying two of the cutest kids I know, I decided it was time to read the book Heaven is For Real. I had a few people tell me it was such a great book and if I needed a book to read, to take some time to read that one. I'm so glad that I did...it's one of those books that really opens your eyes to what the Lord can do, what he does in the hearts of little people, and how much He really, really, really does love all his children.
Heaven is For Real is the true story of the four-year old son of a small town Nebraska pastor who, during emergency surgery, slips from consciousness and enters heaven. He survives and begins talking about being able to look down and see the doctor operating and his dad praying in the waiting room. The family didn't know what to believe but soon the evidence was clear.
Colton said he met his miscarried sister, whom no one had told him about, and his great grandfather who died 30 years before Colton was born, then shared impossible-to-know details about each. He describes the horse that only Jesus could ride, about how "reaaally big" God and His chair are, and how the Holy Spirit "shoots down power" from heaven to help us. 
Told by the father, but often in Colton's own words, the disarmingly simple message is heaven is a real place, Jesus really loves children, and be ready, there is a coming last battle. (source)
I'll be honest, this book tested my faith and I questioned whether the Lord really would take a small boy to heaven during an operation. I don't want to sound like I doubt that's what the Lord did, it's just a concept that is so hard for me to grasp. I know that He is fully capable of doing so...and after reading this book, oh how my heart desires to catch a glimpse of what heaven is like!

I absolutely loved how often Colton would say, "Jesus really really loves the children," I was reminded how much He really does love children. He absolutely loves their childlike faith, and calls us, adults, to have that. That's hard for me, to have such a childlike faith and not worry about life or try to control different situations, or even question God and what He does. But deep down in my heart, that's what I truly desire. I desire to have that childlike faith that every child has...that I once had. I want that wonder and awe of what Christ did for me. I want that synergy of trust, hope, and unpretentiousness that knows the Lord loves me and will lead me. I want to see the world as exciting and adventurous, and worth pursuing with my faith so that opportunities to please God override my complacency and the attitude of "been there, done that." It's the childlike faith that enables us to maintain our humbleness and enthusiasm and not become just a subculture or routine. I desire for my faith, my actions, and my attitude to be authentic, and not just when I feel like it's a good opportunity to display faith.

It's a challenge I'm giving to myself, because I know how much I want it and how much I want others to see a childlike faith in me! Go read Heaven is For Real! I think it'll open your eyes to the many wonders of the Lord and how much He really really does love His children!

No comments:

Post a Comment